Monday, December 1, 2008

Words to live by...

Howdy to all my blogging friends. I missed you all so much. I'm sorry I haven't kept you all up to date lately. That was not very nice of me. But I'm back now and so ready to provide some updates for you. However, I just don't know where to start. Nothing feels quite right. The reason for that is because this past week was one of the hardest ones I've ever had to experience. It was bitter sweet and not bitter sweet in the cliche' way we think of but in a real, there is no better way to describe it sense.

My Poppie (my mom's dad) was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago and on Saturday, November 22 at 3am he went home to be with Jesus. We all knew it was coming and we were all ready for it. None more than my Poppie, though. He couldn't wait to go home and see his parents again.

Oh, how I miss him. I knew I would but I never imagined it would be as hard as it has been.

Will and I got the call from my mom on Saturday morning and left Florida Sunday morning heading straight to my grandparents house. We had the funeral this past Tuesday and the eulogy was given by Rev. Ross Blackburn who could not have said anything more perfect than what he said. Every word he spoke was right on. Every thing I was feeling, Ross gave words to it.

Out of all the things that Ross said, though, one thing keeps resonating in my head more than any other. He was repeating something that Poppie had once said to another church member who was really in a tough spot at that time. Poppie said to him "At the times when we feel like everything is going wrong for us, that is when we should commit more so than ever to pray for others." Those words have been stuck in my head more than anything. And that is what I encourage you all to do. I admit it's a hard thing to do but I can't even begin to imagine what will come of this.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Laura ~

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Whenever I think of you, I picture your blue beetle with Poppie on your tag. :)

May God comfort you and your family through this time.

Kristin

Debra said...

Laura,

I will be sure to keep you, Will, and your family in my prayers. I remember meeting your Poppie at your wedding and listening to his sweet prayer. He reminded me soo much of my mom's dad.. who I miss dearly. I pray God gives you and your family strength and comfort during these times.

Lubna said...

Laura, I am so sorry to hear about your Poppie. My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer right before we came here...and we continue to wait and see what her prognosis will be. I am thinking of you in a special way today and know that He will bring more comfort than any words I could ever write could:-) I love you!!!~Blair

Leak Family said...

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry Laura!! He was a great man... Da doo!

Rachel said...

Kris told me about Poppie and I was so sad to hear it, but I remembered you telling us about how he was suffering. I'm so glad he's with his parents now and lived such an awesome life.

essie said...

Thank you,Laura for your sweet tribute to my dad and your grandfather. I miss him so much but it is great joy to know that we will see him again some day!