Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Let me tell you about our dogs...

When I met Will I knew that he had two dogs and I was fine with that. I love dogs and in my opinion, the bigger the better. What I didn't know about his dogs is just how silly they both are! They sleep at the foot of our bed every night. Before Will and I were married they both slept in the bed with him. I think that the still harbor a little bit of resentment towards me for kicking them out but they hide it really well.

We can't come home from work and change into comfy clothes without the dogs thinking it's time for them to go on a walk. And if you want to see two dogs get excited, just go grab your tennis shoes. They run laps around the house and hop up and down like the silliest dogs you've ever seen. I love them both. They keep us company and are two of the best dogs around.


We'll talk about Eeyore first. Will adopted Eeyore when he was about 17. He got him as a puppy from his vet. Eeyore had originally been adopted by an elementary school class and was going to be there class pet. Well, like most puppies he was very playful and would nip at the children. On top of that, he was growing very quickly. It was decided that Eeyore was going to get too big and he needed to find another home. That's where Will and Eeyore's story begins.

Will was still living at home with his dad at the time. He talked to his father about getting a dog and his dad agreed but didn't want a big dog. Now, I'm sure about the details of the next part of their story but either Will went to the family vet or the family vet came to Will and told him about Eeyore. Will had found his dog. The only problem was that Eeyore was going to be somewhere around 90-100 lbs. Too big to suit Will's dad. So, Will persuades the vet to tell his dad that Eeyore won't be more than 30-40lbs. Will's dad agrees and Will and Eeyore became best friends that day. Fast forward 7 years and they are still best friends. Eeyore does weigh in at about 94 lbs. and while his size can intimidate people he really is the most gentile dog you'll even encounter.

And then there is Rosie. Rosie and Eeyore are hardly anything alike at all! Rosie is about half the size of Eeyore but has twice the amount of energy that he does. Before Will adopted Rosie, she belonged to a lady who worked during the day and really didn't feel like she spent enough time with her. Rosie was a bit of a high maintenance dog as she had some anxiety issues and just needed a little more care and attention than most dogs. She asked the vet if he knew of anyone who already had a dog that might like to adopt Rosie so that she would have a companion. The vet thought of Will and Eeyore and asked Will if he wanted to adopt another dog. To make a long story short Will ended up taking Rosie as well. And although at first she was a bit of a handful Rosie really has come a long way. She has calmed down a great amount.

She is my buddy. When I get home from work everyday she just follows me around the house. When I cook dinner she lays on the floor in the kitchen just to keep me company. And when I got for a run she is the only one of our two dogs that is a pleasure to run with.

To sum it up, I love our dogs. They are both great in their individual ways. I enjoy coming home to them every day. I just don't think that our house would feel the same without them there. It might be a little more clean but not as cozy.

2 comments:

Ray Ray said...

Awww...I love your dogs too. I never thought that big dogs could be so nice, but Rosie and Eeyore are some of the nicest dogs I have ever dog sat for. I love them...

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post about Eeyore and Rosie. I'm a dog lover myself, (and cats too). You can see some pics of my critters at http://gyllendogs.wordpress.com/